Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

Thursday, February 4, 2010

When You Reach Me Vs. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon



Where the Mountain Meets the Moon has a happy ending because the main characters both get what they need, like Minli, gets home and her town becomes beautiful. Her friend, the dragon, is reunited with the Jade Dragon, his mother. I liked the ending.

I think When the Mountain Meets the Moon is a better book than When You Reach Me. I am almost done with When You Reach Me. When You Reach Me ties in to the book A Wrinkle in Time. Both books are about a girl, who has a friend who is a boy, much like A Wrinkle in Time. Both books are involved with the supernatural. If you liked A Wrinkle in Time, you'll like this book, too, even though it has a bad cover.

When You Reach Me I'd rank about four. For Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, even though this is an honor book, not an award winner, I think I'd rank it below Young Fu. Young Fu rocked. This was still a great book, though.

Well, both When the Mountain Meets the Moon and When you Reach Me are good books. I think When the Mountain Meets the Moon has a broader audience. This is a book that anyone can enjoy. When You Reach Me is more of a mystery/sci fi story, and it it will not appeal to younger children. Like, my four year old sister and I both liked Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, and I don't think she'd like When You Reach Me. They are both great books.

1 comment:

  1. since I loved A Wrinkle in Time, and it is one of my most favorite books from childhood, I am excited to read When You Reach Me. I think it will be a great book, especially since you pointed out the similarities between the two. Also, I know you thought Where the Mountain Meets the Moon was a great book too...I have not read many books set in the East. I would like to know more about this area, and I think it might be fun to explore it through reading. I am currently reading a book about the supernatural, too, and I am almost finished with it. It is a very dramatic, sad book, but it is now becoming more hopeful, which is helping me get through it. I can only take sad for so long. Can't wait to read your next post! Life has been busy, so I know finding time has been hard for me...and it's taken a while for me to write something new on my blog. but I am hoping to get to it this weekend...

    ReplyDelete