Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

Monday, January 18, 2010

2010 Newbery Winner


The winner of the 2010 Newbery Award is When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. The book might be good, I don't know, I've never read it, but it has a bad cover. Now I'm going to have to add it to my list.

At least Where the Mountain Meets the Moon was an Honor book. I thought either this book, or The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate would win, because they both had pretty good covers. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is a really good book, and is just the right length. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate has just the perfect cover to win a Newbery. It also won an honor book. I want to read all three of these books, so I can see which on I think is the best.

The other honor books were Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice and The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg.

4 comments:

  1. I have not read any of those books, though I agree with you about the cover of the winner. It is kind of boring, if you ask me. I am a little older than you, Martin, but I remember my favorite Newbery's being Island of the Blue Dolphins, Call it Courage, A Wrinkle in Time, and The Witch of Blackbird Pond (especially the last two, because they were written by people especially wonderful at getting you right into the story).

    I am excited to see what other comments you have...isn't it interesting how the cover totally makes you want to read a book OR pass it over permanently?

    Good luck, with your reading, Martin, and I will have some of my students check out your blog, too, so they can talk to you about books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, M. Crabtree told me about you, your mom, and what you two are doing. I think this is a totally AWESOME idea, and that you're doing a great job so far. Keep up the good work man.

    P.S I have a question. How do you get into all of these books? I tend to get bored after just one or two, yet you're reading all of these.

    Once again, keep up the great work man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Martin first of all I think you are really adorable and cutie. Your mother told me about your web and i was intrested on loggin in and reading it. I think your mother is a great teacher and a good mother to you, because what you too are doing is fun and and at the same time you are learning. I havnt read this book but i agree that the cover is preety boaring. i just want to congradulate you for reading. I hope you read alot more!! keep reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kojibusa: What I do is, I just keep reading. Eventually you get into the book, or you get to the end and you never liked it. And then you pick up another book. Sometimes, also, I watch a movie that has something to do with the book. It helps you understand the book a little better. Like, when I read Young Fu I also watched a movie that took place in China, and that helped me visualize the story better. Instead of just making guesses about what it looks like in the book, it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete